Thursday, June 2, 2011

Balancing Act

I have been practicing yoga for a few years now, and it never ceases to amaze me what my body is capable of doing. In particular, the balancing postures can be incredibly challenging, however, once I manage to attain the posture in perfect breath and balance – it’s quite empowering. I feel such calm and peace -  I feel strong and in control. Balance is a beautiful thing. One day while leaving my Ashtanga yoga class recently (with my blissful yoga-high I always experience) I got to thinking about how I can obtain balance in all areas of my life in order to feel that calm and empowerment at all times. Achieving balance in life is a difficult task to undertake.

I don’t think I can find one person that will tell me they aren’t busy at all in their lives. There always seems to be a multitude of things going on at any given moment. We’re all champion multi-taskers; constantly juggling our commitments, relationships, work, hobbies, and more. How does one achieve balance in this day and age? It seems nearly impossible sometimes doesn’t it?

Through my own life experiences and many tough lessons learned in values and priorities, I’ve come up with one possible solution. I believe that if you establish what the 4-quadrants of your life are, and then work to maintain an equal and appropriate balance of all 4, you will live a much happier and balanced life. Let me explain the 4-quadrants:

Physical: Your health. You are exercising regularly and eating right.

Realtionships: The quality of your relationships with friends and family.

Career: Your job and/or your education you are taking for your future career

Spirit: Your spirituality and relationship with God. The BIG picture.

If any of these 4 are out-weighing another, or if one is non-existant, I have found that it's quite difficult to achieve a sense of balance and fulfilment in your life. For example, if you work all day and then work overtime and then proceed to work for hours in the gym - your relationships tend to suffer. You have nothing left to give them after being mentally and physically drained from only 2 quadrants. Or on the other extreme, maybe you love spending time with your boyfriend/girlfriend, and now your relationship with God is suffering, or you have no spare time to take care of your body and health.

With that said, it goes without saying that there is a time and a season for everything. There will be times when it's nearly impossible to achieve a perfect balance. There are transition periods, and periods of absolute change. That's just life. The important part is that you are growing, and working towards achieving a consistent and lasting balance. The key word here is: awareness. You are aware of what choices you are making and how they effect the quality of your life.

Living an imbalanced life is truly an injustice towards yourself and the people in your life. It's without a doubt that life is precious, and far too short. Our days are numbered, and tomorrow is never guaranteed. It's crucial to establish a balance of the 4-quadrants in order to live a rich and abundant, happy and fulfilling life. Do yourself a huge favour and run an evaluation of how your 4-quadrants are doing, and then take the necessary steps to balance them; your life is waiting for you.


"The calm and balanced mind is the strong and great mind; the hurried and agitated mind is the weak one."
-Wallace D. Wattles

No comments:

Post a Comment