Monday, May 9, 2011

I didn't learn THAT in school...

"When the student is ready, the teacher will arrive" - Unknown

I've made several poor choices in life. Who hasn't? We've all done things we aren't proud of, and even regret all together. We can sit and ponder all the mistakes and choices we've made, and wonder what could've/should've/woud've been if we only did A B or C. Those types of thoughts tend to lead to even more destructive thinking such as : "I screw up everything" or "I suck at life and I'm never going to get it right." I advise you to stop that disempowering pattern of thinking immediately!

I have found that life presents to you what you need to learn. Whether you take it as a learning experience and GROW from it or not is entirely up to you. Sometimes you need to make the same mistake 5 times before you finally get it (unfortunately I needed those extra reminders before I finally caught on). Life will keep testing you to see if you learned your lesson. It is only when you have battled and overcome your own personal demons that life starts to "work" and you will be empowered to make better choices.

I'm a firm believer that God puts people into your life for a reason. Many of the people you will encounter and build relationships and friendships with are there for you to learn from. In my favorite book of all time, Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat Pray Love, Richard from Texas explains that even who we may have thought was our true soul mate was only there for a reason. They serve their purpose in your life, then they leave. He says a soul mate is:

"...the person that shows you everything that's holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life... they tear down your walls and smack you awake...tear apart your ego a little bit, show you your obstacles and addictions, break you heart open so new light could get in, make you so desperate and out of control that you HAD to transform your life...they come into your life just to reveal another layer of yourself to you, and then they leave.."

With unfailing kindness, your life always presents to you what you need to learn. The most important thing you need to do is learn the lessons and carry on; a little bit stronger and wiser than before and ready to make better choices in the future with better discernment. It's a life long process I believe, so please, have the humilty to accept the lessons as they come and allow God  to shape you into the person you were meant to be. I know I have. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment