Friday, April 15, 2011

About the journey...

My friends ofen warmly refer to me as "Planning Patty". I have been known for my meticulous organization skills and planning abilities. I've planned entire life situations (that haven't happened yet and sometimes don't end up happening) in my head down to every last detail. I tended to anticipate the possibilities of future disasters and then take immediate action to avoid them from happening (the fictional disasters I've thought up in my head that is). I have gone so far as to try to manipulate my current situation so that it will line up with the fairy tale ending I've thought up in my head already.

There is a an old saying that goes "it's all about the journey, not the desitination." Well, I never quite understood that. I wanted to arrive at what's next to come in my life and I wanted to get there as soon as possible with as few obstacles in my way as possible. I constantly strived to get to the finish line first. It terrified me when I felt like I haven't progressed at all. I needed constant change, growth, improvement. I coudn't sit still; I needed continual movement and stimulation (which I partially blame on being a Gemini). I've lived most of my life in anticipation for the future.  

After a series of unfortunate events, I was forced to slow down and take a look at my life choices and ways of thinking. I found myself in what some may call a rock-bottom situation. My perfectly planned fairy tale life fell apart and I was no longer in control (was I ever?). It had become so clear to me that I had to make a change because "my way" was not working to my benefit whatsoever. Although my heart was broken, this time in my life was truly a blessing, because I was given the opportunity to sit with myself and observe what made me ME and what brought me to that situation I was in...

And so I went on. I read a plethora of books, I've started going to church and building a relationship with God, I started writing in a journal, I nurtured my friendships, I meditated and did yoga, I talked to people that I admired and are living the way I aspired to,  I did anything and everything I could to bring awareness to myself and what choices I made in my life and why I may have made them. Through the whole process, it became quite clear to me where I was missing the mark. I finally understood what people were telling me to do for years, and that is to live in the present moment.

This blog is about accepting every day people, every day situations, every day obstacles and annoyances, and truly embracing them for what they are. It's about acceptance of what "is". It's about detaching from situations that are beyond our control. It's about viewing everything that happens to you in your life from the perspective of love. It's about keeping things in perspective and looking at the big picture. It's about having FAITH that God knows exactly what is going on here and His plans aren't meant to hurt us.  I'll never know it all, and I'll continue to grow and learn and change for the rest of my life, but I cant wait to share with you some of the things I've learned that have helped me a great deal, and share with you a bit of my new thoughts and discoveries while I carry on in my journey.

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself.  Each day has enough troubles of its own." Matthew 6:24

No comments:

Post a Comment